Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mixed Beans

Wow, I am amazed at how fast time goes by. Now that the baby is teething I'm having a hard time getting things done.. hence the late posts. She wants to be with Momma every second and I can't type very well with her in my lap. Alas, here goes...

Mixed Beans

I've been looking into sneaky ways to make our meals better for us. Though Hubby is one of those "I'm not eating that Junk people." So I've got to figure out how to sneak the good stuff in. This is the reason for the Cream of Wheat. I cannot get him to eat whole wheat any other way.

1 1/2 cups pinto beans
1 cup black beans
1 cup kidney beans
1/4 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas
4 chicken bouillon cubes
water
salt
salt pork
1 Tablespoon cream of wheat, optional

Dissolve bouillon cubes in 4 cups of hot water. Wash beans and add to water in pot. And enough water to cover. Boil, adding water as necessary, until garbanzo beans are about half tender, add salt pork. Boil until pork is cooked and garbanzo beans are tender. Gradually add Cream of Wheat; boil a few minutes longer. Salt to taste.

This was absolutely delicious. By the time the Garbanzo beans are done the black beans will have cooked to mush. the Kidney beans will be approaching that point and the pinto beans will be soft. This was served with cornbread [same as before]. My only complaint about this recipe is that the garbanzo beans took too long to cook. I will use an equal portion of one of the others in it's place next time. He liked them [though he adds too much Jalapeno pepper juice to know it they were any good or not], no complaints.